|WHAT IS GROUP DISCUSSION?|
- Exchange of information or ideas in a face-to-face situation.
- Exchange of thoughts and feelings through oral communication.
- A type of discussion that involves people sharing ideas or activities on a given subject.
- A systematic and deliberate interactive oral process.
- An important activity in academic, business and administrative departments.
|ADVANTAGES OF GROUP DISCUSSIONS|
|TYPES OF GROUP DISCUSSION TOPICS|
|REQUIRED SKILLS FOR GD|
|DO’S OF GROUP DISCUSSION|
- Speak politely and happily
- Respect each member in the group
- Be confident till the end
- Keep yourself well-prepared
- Speak point to point
- Take care of body language
- Be formal, friendly and kind
- Listen to other participants
- Keep your voice loud and clear
- Try to convince others
|DON’TS OF GROUP DISCUSSION|
- Don’t be harsh to other members
- Don’t interrupt while others are speaking
- Don’t argue with participants
- Don’t talk much about personal experiences
- Don’t be aggressive
- Do not loose confidence and patience
- Do not speak slowly, do not shout loudly
- Do not present wrong information
- Avoid finger pointing and table thumping
|KEY PHRASES/EXPRESSIONS FOR GD|
|HOW TO INTRODUCE
Let’s begin with….
Let’s start with….
Let’s go ahead with….
I would like to begin by saying that….
I would like to introduce the point that…
|HOW TO AGREE
You could be right
|HOW TO DISAGREE
I don’t agree at all
I don’t think so
I can’t go along with you
|HOW TO EXPRESS OPINION
Let me make a point….
According to me….
My view is that….
|HOW TO ASK FOR OPINION
Why do you think so….?
What do you feel about….?
How do you look at….?
Let us know about…
Could you tell…?
|HOW TO INTERRUPT
I’m sorry to interrupt, but….
Sorry to disturb, but….
Just a minute, let me tell one thing….
That’s right. Sorry, but….
May I quickly add something here?
|HOW TO SUGGEST
.The point I would like to make is that….
.It is suggested that we should….
….It’s my personal suggestion that….
….I would like to say that….
….I recommend that…
|HOW TO KEEP GOING
Let’s proceed further
Let’s come to the point
Let’s get back to….
What were we talking about?
Leave it. Just go ahead
|HOW TO EXPLAIN
I’m of the point that….
Let me explain my view….
Well, the reason is that….
After all, we should….
Try to understand….
|HOW TO ASK TO EXPLAIN
What do you mean exactly?
Could someone explain in detail….?
Excuse me. Could someone tell….?
Do you want to say something….?
Let us know….
|HOW TO ASK TO CLARIFY
What do you mean exactly?
I haven’t understood….
What are your ideas regarding….?
How will you look at….?
Do you like say something….?
|HOW TO CONCLUDE
We reach at the conclusion that….
Finally I conclude that….
Let’s have a final look at….
After all, it is….
|In written form of Group Discussion, we need to write dialogues properly. A set of dialogue consisting of 4-5 participants is to be prepared using proper dialogue format. Tenses and punctuation should be used appropriately.|
Imagine, you have recently witnessed a Group Discussion on ‘Online Education‘. Write the same Group Discussion in the form of dialogues. Write suitable dialogues for each participant regarding their opinion on the given topic.
MORE EXAMPLES WILL BE ADDED SOON
|REPORT WRITING||FILM REVIEW|
|MIND MAPPING||BOOK REVIEW|
|EMAIL WRITING||ART OF COMPERING|
|BLOG WRITING||STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (SOP)|
|APPEAL WRITING||SUMMARY WRITING|
|TAKING INTERVIEW||DRAFTING VIRTUAL MESSAGES|
|EXPANSION OF IDEA||RESUME/CV/BIO-DATA|